Quest: Leading Global Transformations
Each of the seven chapters starts by taking leaders on a historical tour related to one of the quests. It then outlines dos and don’ts for organizations, features a company that has made that particular quest successfully, and concludes with some questions for leaders to assess their own organization’s progress on that quest.
The book distils this accumulated knowledge into seven transformation journeys, or “quests”:
- Global Presence: The quest to become “truly global” in terms of market reach, innovation, talent flows, integrated functions and processes.
- Global Value Generation: The quest to develop an organization-wide focus on value creation and capture.
- Global Leadership Development: The quest to build up a distributed leadership capability (monitoring and developing the leadership competencies of executives) at all levels of the organization.
- Global Solutions: The quest to become a solution provider rather than just a supplier of products and services.
- Global Agility: The quest to become more strategically or operationally agile, notably by reducing complexity.
- Global Co-Innovation: The quest to open up the organization’s R&D boundaries by incorporating innovation from external sources.
- Global Sustainability: The quest to move beyond mere compliance by fully integrating corporate social responsibility into the company’s strategic positioning and execution.